Friday, October 21, 2011

Missouri, Day 3 riding- lots to see



Started the day by taking a tour of the Meramec Caverns. Great fun! This place brought back many childhood memories for me.  My Mother brought us here when I was 11 years old. Traveling on my Harley was better then the 1954 Mercury I went in the last time.

Meremac Caverns.
Missouri does not have as many stops as Illinois, but the ones that are marked are worth time time.
Check out this bicycle lawn mower
A lot of the original Route 66 runs close to I 44. They did a great job of preserving the original road,  The trees are in full fall colors and blowing everywhere. I wish I had a video camera mounted on my helmet, watching the leaves blow as I followed Mike was a hoot.
Found a great bikers bar at Devils Elbow, around Waynesville, Mo. A great run down cabin on the river, next to a historic one way bridge. This is the only section of Route 66 that was constructed as a four lane concrete road.  It was done to help transporting troops in and out of Ft. Leonardwood Mo.
The Elbow Inn!  The bartender wanted us to stay for bikers night, but we must press on.


The first time I ever had a bottled water at a bar. Oh well! And they have a contest to win a free T shirt, all you need to do is take off your bra and staple it to the ceiling.
Friendly owners, they wanted us to stay for Thursday night bikers night and even offered the back area next to the river for camping.  But we pressed on to Springfield Mo.  The weather is still perfect. Oklahoma does not look so good.
                                                    A rocker for Jimpa! The sign says it all.

Stopped in Cuba, Missouri to look at this Route 66 Motel.  I must say the Wagon Wheel motel is the best

                                   Devils Elbow bridge and turn, just outside of Waynesville, Mo.


                  1955 Ford, four door, located at the Route 66 Rail Haven motel in Springfield Mo.

The Harley Road King is doing great. Mike had a couple of adjustments done today, but his is running well also. Im out of clean clothes. Need a laundry tonight. Could be a fun Friday night somewhere in Oklahoma.

1 comment:

  1. Just pour a box of suds over your clothes and ride through the storm. Let mother nature clean those dirty clothes! :-)

    ReplyDelete